- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ears fresh corn, kernels cut from cob
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons cane syrup, or as desired (optional)
- Whisk flour and baking powder into a bowl and mix in corn kernels. Whisk egg yolks with cream in a small bowl and stir into the corn mixture; season with salt and black pepper. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until fluffy and stiff peaks form in a separate bowl. Gently fold egg whites into the batter, retaining as much volume as possible.
- Pour vegetable oil into a deep heavy skillet to a depth of 3 inches. Heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Drop fritters into the hot oil, 2 to 3 tablespoons at a time, and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain fritters on paper towels and serve drizzled with cane syrup.